Market Intelligence: Five Big Questions for Multifamily Housing in 2023
Now Available On Demand
As the 2022 calendar year closes, all eyes are focused on 2023.
Join RealPage® experts Jay Parsons and Carl Whitaker as they share their thoughts on five key trends that will influence 2023 multifamily performance ― and how you can tailor your strategies to account for changing market conditions.
Included in this discussion will be:
- Thoughts on the nation’s record construction pipeline. How will supply (and lease-up performance) impact Class A properties?
- A breakdown of demand fundamentals. Does demand return after a sluggish 2022, and if so, to what degree?
- Insights into what happens with rents in 2023. How do new lease rent changes influence renewal rents, and what is the current state of loss-to-lease measures?
- How external influences like higher rates affect deal volume in 2023. Will changes in interest rates, cost of debt, etc., influence buyer/seller activity into the New Year?
- The impact of rising operational expenses on performance (NOI) and budgeting. Do expenses continue to increase at a similar pace into 2023, and how does moderating rent growth influence bottom-line revenue growth?
Jay Parsons serves as Senior Vice President, Chief Economist for RealPage, leading the Economist and Industry Principal teams to provide deep insights on market trends and consumer behaviors. He is a frequent author and industry speaker on topics affecting multifamily apartments and single-family rentals, including rental housing investment and asset management strategy, rental housing policy issues, risk mitigation and property management.
Jay has been cited in The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, The Financial Times, The Economist, and The New York Times, and he has appeared on CNBC and BloombergTV. His commentaries have been published by Barron's, the Pension Real Estate Association, the Mortgage Bankers Association, the National Apartment Association, American Banker and GlobeSt.
Carl WhitakerDirector of Research & Analysis, Market Analytics, RealPage, Inc.
Carl Whitaker is a Real Estate Economist with RealPage’s Data Analytics division. At RealPage, Carl has specialized in creating industry presentations, market and submarket trend reports and crafting ways in which data can be more easily consumed and leveraged by clients. Carl holds degrees from the University of North Texas, including a Master of Science in Applied Geography.