Let’s take a more in depth look at Sacramento’s government sector. Some of California’s largest employers are within the government sector, all based out of Sacramento:
- California Prison Industry Authority: This correctional institution is located in Folsom, which is within MPF Research’s defined metropolitan area for Sacramento. There are between 1,000 and 5,000 employees that work within this institution, which is made up of government employees who oversee and operate the correctional institution.
- Corrections Department: This is another correctional institution located in downtown Sacramento. It also has between 1,000 and 5,000 employees who manage and operate correctional institutions.
- Department of Transportation in California: This business is comprised of state government offices and legislative bodies. There are over 10,000 employees within this sector who serve as legislative bodies, advisory committees and commissions. Examples of employees within this sector include Congress, state legislatures, and advisory and study legislative committees.
- Employment Development Department: This industry includes establishments that provide government job training, vocational rehabilitation or habilitation services. There are between 1,000 and 5,000 people employed within this industry. Types of jobs include job counseling, job training, and work experience to unemployed and underemployed persons/persons with disabilities.
- Environmental Protection Agency: The mission of this agency is clearly stated to “restore, protect, and enhance the environment, to ensure public health, environmental quality, and economic vitality.” There are between 1,000 and 5,000 people employed in this industry who are employed in either the administration, regulation, and enforcement of air and water resource programs or the administration and regulation of solid waste management programs.
- Exposition & Fair: Sacramento is home to the California State Fair and also hosts several other expositions year round in the Cal Expo. Such events hosted here include home & garden shows, horse races, boat shows, dog shows, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and festivals for children. The California Exposition also has Raging Waters (water actitivies), Bonny Field, 9/11 Memorial Plaza, California Expo Sport & Wagering Center, California Expo RV Park, and places to dine and kick back and relax. There are between 1,000 and 5,000 people employed within this industry.
- Municipal Services Agency: According to the Sacramento county Municipal Services website, this industry provides Sacramento County residents services such as garbage collection, animal care, road maintenance, code enforcement, clean water, storm protection, building permits and development services, open space conservation and regional parks. There are some 1,000 to 5,000 people employed within this industry.
- Water Resource Department: This department protects, conserves, developments, and manages the vast amount of California’s water supply. This includes the State Water Project, a project that provides water to over 25 million residents, farms, and businesses. The Water Resource Department’s mission is to “manage the water resources of California in cooperation with other agencies, to benefit the State’s people, and to protect, restore, and enhance the natural and human environments,” according to its website. Within this industry there are between 1,000 and 5,000 employees.
There are a few more metros that should be mentioned that have high exposure to the Government industry. There is at least a 2.6-point delta between the percentage of Government industry workers in these metros compared to Sacramento. These metros include:
- Washington, District of Columbia: Approximately 23.0% of the workforce (or 586,800 individuals) are employed under the Government umbrella. I don’t think I need to explain this one, though it was a little surprising to rank at number 2 within this industry. The largest chunk of D.C.’s workforce is within the Federal Government industry (12.2% or 310,900 employees).
- Durham, North Carolina: Approximately 22.9% of the workforce here (or 67,500 individuals) are employed in the Government industry. The majority of the Government workforce is within the State Government industry (13.7%, or 40,500 employees).
- Virginia Beach, Virginia: About 20.8% (or 155,400 people) of the workforce are employed in the Government industry. Two large military bases are located within Virginia Beach: Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek/Ft. Story (6,000 employees) and Naval Air Station Oceana/Dam Neck (3,600 employees). The majority of Government workers in Virginia Beach are within the Local Government industry (11.2% or 83,900 employees).
- Austin, Texas: Around 18.7% of the workforce in Austin (or 174,300 people) work in the Government industry. This metro is the capitol of Texas. The City of Austin, Federal Government, and State of Texas each have over 6,000 employees. Employment in both the Local Government industry (9.6%, or 88,900 workers) and the State Government (7.7% or 71,400 employees) is pretty evenly split here.
(Image Source: Shutterstock)