With this newsletter, our aim is to keep you informed on everything you need to know about today’s Student Housing market, RealPage Student products and services, and upcoming and past events. It’s required reading for anyone in Student Housing!
Keep Moving Forward,
Whitney Kidd, VP Student Market, RealPage
Student Housing Market Update: Q3 Webcast
With classes back in session for the Fall 2019 semester, how did the nation’s student housing market fare? Does occupancy continue to hold at the healthy levels posted over the past few years? And did rent growth repeat or beat previous results?
In their September webcast, RealPage analysts Greg Willett and Carl Whitaker discussed key performance metrics in the student housing space and more:
- School leaders and laggards for rent growth
- Student housing investment activity
- Selected local market profiles
- Anticipated new supply volumes for 2020
Continued Success: Preiss Company Re-Signs with RealPage
As the old saying goes, “You don’t mess with success.” This is especially true for companies who need to select software that’s essential to their operations.
That’s why The Preiss Company — one of the top 10 providers of off-campus housing in the nation — renewed their contract for a comprehensive RealPage Student Living software stack after a competitive review.
COO Adam Byrley cited three major reasons for the renewal: RealPage’s understanding of the student housing industry and hands-on support; software that’s “engineered from top to bottom to handle our unique requirements”; and the team’s reliability.
Mr. Byrley also noted that The Preiss Company’s recent integration of the On-Site leasing solution was the “easiest, most seamless integration the company has ever experienced.”
Whitney Kidd, VP of Student Market for RealPage, proudly pointed out that the contract renewal demonstrates RealPage’s strong commitment to the student housing sector — especially when “a company of this caliber chooses you over everyone else.”
How the RealPage Student Team Helped RISE Real Estate Go Digital
Going online and operating in a paperless environment was one of the first things Courtney Gordon wanted to do when he joined Rise Real Estate as Senior Vice President.
He went to RealPage to develop a roadmap for making his strategy happen — and worked with the “fantastic” Student team to become one of the first companies in the student space to go fully online.
Check out the video interview to hear how RealPage helped RISE gain efficiencies in operations and maintenance — and lead the way as an industry innovator with an environmental focus that’s important to today’s students.
Move-In Relief Day: Helping Out with “The Turn”
Every spring and fall, the new semester’s peak season brings thousands and thousands (and thousands) of students into their new living quarters. And this fall, RealPage’s Student team was there to help.
More than 25 RealPage employees helped out at 20 properties nationwide, doing everything from handing out maps to offering support for the company’s technology solution. In some cases, they even provided advice on day-to-day student life — like which roommate needs to clean the fridge.
RealPage Vice President of Student Housing Whitney Kidd noted that these events are an opportunity to “expand the organization’s understanding of how student housing operates” and that it will help RealPage to create “solutions that innovate and simplify for operators everywhere.”
For photos and more information, review our Property Management Insider blog.
Meet the “Women of Student Housing” at NMHC’s October Conference
RealPage reps will be attending the National Multifamily Housing Council’s Student Housing Conference Monday through Wednesday, October 14-16. We’ll be hosting the “Women of Student Housing” networking event during the conference as a way to give back to the industry.
The conference — taking place at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile — is the premier event for Student Housing professionals, bringing together over 825 leaders from all facets of the sector, including owners, operators, investors, lenders, and university partners.
To set up a meeting with a RealPage rep or RSVP to the Women of Student Housing event, please contact Whitney Kidd.
RealPage Acquires Utility Management Leader SimpleBills
To provide more comprehensive energy management solutions to our clients, RealPage recently acquired SimpleBills Corporation, an innovative utility management service that currently serves more than 125,000 students in the U.S.
SimpleBills vastly simplifies utility management for both properties and students, so RealPage can offer game-changing solutions to clients — enabling them to fully outsource their utility needs.
How it works:
- The company bills and collects from residents directly, offering significant time savings to properties. (Site staff doesn’t have to do tedious billing tasks and can focus on other operations.)
- Students receive only their specific portion of the utility bill, so they can split their water/electric/gas/cable bills and other shared utilities among roommates. They can also easily manage their utilities without having to contact providers or pay deposits and utility provider setup fees.
- Regardless of student solutions that companies are already using, RealPage can deploy SimpleBills and save on integration time and expenses. In addition, new customers can outsource utility billing in the same way current RealPage clients outsource affordable housing and vendor compliance, accounting, and IT operations to RealPage.
- The SimpleBills solution is also platform-agnostic, so RealPage can serve SimpleBills clients who operate in other markets such as Multifamily, Single Family, HOA and Senior Living.